-
 
 
 
 
Did You Know?
 
 
 
   
Things you may or may not know about Stanley
 
 
 
 
In the 1820s it was recorded that the River Calder was so clean that if you dropped a stone into it, the stone would be still visable at a depth of eight feet
 
Local timber was used in the construction of a transept in York Minster in 1241
 
 
Saint Peters School still has a case containing some of the Roman coins that were found at Smalley Bight Farm in 1905
 
 
Beaumont Street takes its name from the Beaumont family who owned Hatfeild Hall
 
 
Riverdale on Ferry lane got its name from the nearby River Calder
 
 
Mount Road got its name from the hill originally being called Lee Mount 
 
 
Stanley Church is the only twin towered Church in Yorkshire
 
 
The Lake Lock Rail Road was the worlds first public railway
 
 
Bread Baker Lane or as it is known today Baker Lane was named after the Baker that lived there
 
 
Ferry Lane football fields were once the site of a resoivoir
 
 
Newmarket Colliery was one of the oldest pits in the UK when it closed
 
 
Lime Pit Lane got its name from the three Lime pits that were worked there in the 19th entury
 
 
Rev. Baugh served Stanley for 45 years, the longest serving Vicar to date
 
 
Hatfeild Hall is built on the site of the 14th Century Wood Hall
 
 
The Aquaduct is the largest such structure built in cast iron in the world, and is said to be the oldest
 
 
The River Calder froze  in  December 1813, the freeze lasted for 13 weeks, Many people skated from Wakefield to Leeds and back, even horses and carts went on the frozen River
 
 
The oak beams used in the construction of Hatfeild Hall came from Howley Park in Morley
 
 
An Elizabethen house stood at the bottom of Baker Lane up to the 19th Century
 
 
The Deep Drop Colliery explosion is Stanleys worst disaster
 
 
The first registered burial at Stanley Cemetry was that of a William Craven aged 7 on 17th September 1824
 
 
The Rising Sun at Bottomboat is the oldest pub that is still in use in the original building
 
 
The Vicarage originally had a servants wing at the back of the building, this has since been demolished
 
 
Local Historian Frank Poskett estimates that 107, 352, 00 tons of coal have been excavated from under Stanley
 
 
When built Stanley Royd came in £7000 over budget
 
 
Long Causeway  - The name Causeway means a hard trodden surface or path, it is possible that the path was used as a short cut to Lee Moor and developed overtime into a wider track.
 
 
Kirkfield Place Ferry Lane had several nicknames in the village; Burgulars Alley, Sheppards Rest & Chuggler Bunk and the name Kirkfield comes from "Kirk" meaning Church arriving at the name Church fields. This name would have come from the land being owned by the old Saint Swithens Chapel
 
 
The name Smalley Bight comes from "Smalley" meaning narrow clearing and "Bight" meaning bend in the River.
 
 
The name Welbeck refers to the loop in the River Calder at this point
 
 
The name Balk Lane comes from "Balk" meaning boundry ridge
 
 
 
 
 
 
More Facts to follow