-
 
 
 
 
Village Photos
 
 
 
 
This is a selection of our photos from around the village, if you have any photos that we could use please contact us.
 
 
 
 
Stanley Signal Box
 
 
Stanley Station waiting room
 
 
Saint Peters School
 
 
Mount Road
 
 
Shires house stood on Intake Lane and was the Shires Pit Managers house. It was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the prefab houses that still occupy the site today
 
 
Victoria Café and filling station which stood on the junction of Lime Pit Lane & Aberford Road
 
 
Stanley Church 1934
 
 
Lane Ends Quarry 1905, today the library is to the left of this photo
 
 
 
Stanley Station
 
 
Hatfeild Lodge 1900
This building stood opposite The Graziers on Aberford Road at the bottom of The Hatfeild Hall driveway, photo courtesy of Samantha Crockett
 
 
Stanley Grove Floods March 1932
This area was prone to flooding right up to the 1950s, large areas between here and Lime Pit Lane would be under water for weeks at a time.
 
 
Stanley Institute
 
 
Garden Gate Inn 1982
This building on Intake Lane was used as an Ale House in the 19th Century
 
 
Stanley Picture House
Known in the Village as "The Clog & Rhubarb"
 
 
Aberford Road View
Photo from around 1900
 
 
Aberford Road around 1910
 
 
Stanley Lane Ends
 
 
Stanley Station 1904
 
 
Baker Lane 1950s
 
 
Church Fields
 
 
Saint Peters Church
 
 
Stanley Postcard from around 1905
 
 
The Graziers Hotel
 
 
Aberford Road 1920s, the old cinema is to the left
 
 
Stanley Hall
 
 
Church Gates
 
 
Saint Peters Church around 1905
 
 
Church interior after the 1911 fire
 
 
Church interior after the 1911 fire
 
 
Stanley Hill
 
 
West Hall 1905
 
 
The old Bar House 1908 that was opposite Stanley Hall on the junction of Bar Lane
 
 
The 1911 church fire
 
 
Lake Lock Post Office
 
 
Church Street
 
 
Lane Ends WMC
 
 
The Vicarage
 
 
Canal Lane 1950s
 
 
The Grove, Aberford Road
 
 
Photo taken at the juncyion of Lime Pit Lane and Aberford Road 1950s
 
 
Long Causeway
 
 
Newmarket Lane, the house is now 100ft above the duel carridge way
 
 
View up Rooks Nest Road 1920s
 
 
Stanley Carnival 1920s, photo taken opposite todays Youth Club
 
 
Bowling behind the old Lane Ends WMC
 
 
Aberford Road 1905
 
 
The Wheatsheaf, early 1970s
 
 
Lime Pit Lane 1972, photo courtesy of John Shaw
 
 
The old cinema, now Gordons Tyres
 
 
Laying of the foundation stone after the church fire 1912
 
 
Stanley Secondary Modern postcard
 
 
The Railway Hotel, later the Spindle Tree
 
 
Looking towards the old crossroads at the top of Newmarket Lane. Moorhouse is now on the right, the house on the left is still there
 
 
Stanley Postcard
 
 
Church interior before the fire
 
 
Ouchthorpe Lane
 
 
View over the 19 Acres
 
 
This photo is of a young good looking lad by the name of Mark with his loyal companion "Kim" they were stood at the back of number 22 Chapel street, Stanley. circa 1973
 
 
Colour Photos
Lake Lock, photo by George Parfitt
 
 
Aberford Road looking towards Oulton as work starts on the M62. The bridge to the right was part of the line that ran from Lofthouse to Newmarket. The area is almost unrecognisable in comparison to today
 
 
Miners Arms, Lee Moor 1960s
 
 
Lime Pit Lane 1960s
 
 
River Calder postcard
 
 
Lake Lock Yard 1970s
 
 
Lake Lock Yard 1970s
 
 
Drapery shop Lake Lock 1970s
 
 
The Wheatsheaf 1970s
 
 
The Railway Hotel 1960s
 
 
Gledhills, looking down towards the Lane Ends WMC 1970s
 
 
Farleys shop, Long Causeway
 
 
Stanley Lane Ends 1960s
 
 
The Old Doctors Surgery opposite The Wagon & Horses 1970s
 
 
The old mill Canal Lane 1960s
 
 
Lake Lock fish shop 1970s
 
 
Top of Baker Lane 1970s, the shop is on the left
 
 
Saint Peters Church 1970s
 
 
Kevs fish shop 1980s
 
 
The old doctors surgery Lane Ends, 1970s
 
 
The old classrooms behind Saint Peters School 1990s
 
 
Brearleys 1970s
 
 
Saint Peters Church interior 1970s
 
 
Lime Pit Lane 1990
 
 
Building the Community Centre 1990
 
 
Stanley Gala 1970s
 
 
Stanley Gala 1970s
 
 
Lane Ends 1970s
 
 
Lane Ends 1960s
 
 
The old quarry Lane Ends 1970s
 
 
The old Doctors Surgery and View towards Mount Road 1970s
 
 
Saint Peters School 1970s
 
 
View over Stanley from Newton Hill