Village of Stanley
Situated three miles north of Wakefield, Stanley has been inhabited since the Neolithic period. It has seen great change in this time, no more so than since the Industrial Revolution. Demand for coal grew and the area developed into a larger village that had several pits, stone quarries and lime pits. Demand for housing also grew and continues to grow today but unfortunately in the last fifty years industry has all but disappeared from the village. Those days now live on through the memories of our older villagers and through photos of a bygone era. With this site we hope to capture those memories and produce a catalogue of photos old and new for future generations.
This website is dedicated to the memory of
Frederick Parfitt 30.03.1930 - 13.01.2004