This selection of photos has been taken from the air between the 1940s & present day.
Photos from around the village
Photos from 2009
Aqueduct area of Ferry Lane showing some sites of historic interest. The Ferry pit had a short working life due to flooding (1870-1895). The Nagger Lines ran from Lofthouse Colliery to the Lofthouse Basin (now the marina). The Newland Basin has now been filled in.
Ferry Lane showing some sites of historic interest.
The Reservoir was later replaced by a landfill site before becoming the football fields. The Balk Lane Prefabs were alongside the old Sand & Gravel Quarry with Parkhill pit at the bottom of the photo.
Lake Lock & Lane Ends showing some sites of historic interest.
Shires Pit can be seen at the bottom of the photo. The two mineral lines of the Lake Lock Rail Road and the later JJ Charlesworths line can be seen at the top of the photo, just below the later main line.
Lake Lock towards the River Calder showing some sites of historic interest.
The lock was built on the River Calder in 1706 and was worked by the Lake family who farmed the area, hence the name Lake Lock. The Lake Lock Railroad shown was later replaced by the JJ Charlesworth Mineral line, that we know today as the Bull Wagon Road. Stanley Station was at the top of this photo.
Hatfeild Estate showing some sites of historic interest.
The mineral line ran from Newton Hill pit, linking to the Deep Drop pit before going onto the basin at Stanley Ferry. This line was abandoned after the Newton Hill pit closed in the 1890s. The Hatfeild Pit was replaced by the Deep Drop Pit in the 1830s, most of the equipment and machinery from Hatfeild was also transfered to the Deep Drop.
Photos of the Ferry Lane and Aberford Road area
Photos from 1961
Above photo shows the Canal along the bottom of the photo with the sand quarry to the right and Parkhill pit to the left. Ferry Lane prefabs can be seen top right. Since this photo was taken the area has become almost unrecognisable
Area top right of the above photos shows Stanley Hill. Stanley Hall is just above the centre
Bar Lane is on the left of the photo with Ouchthorpe top right
Photos taken by Brian Robinson In July 1969
Brian has sent us many photos to use on the site, this set of photos was taken by him when he was lucky enough to fly over Stanley in 1969, it cost him around a pound which back then was a lot of money! You can see from the photos how the village has changed in the last 40 years. Special thanks to Brian for sharing these photos with us.
Aberford Road with Ferry Lane to the left
Lime Pit Lane with Aberford Road at the top of the photo
Lane Ends to the centre of the photo
Stanley Ferry in the centre of the photo
Thank you to Brian for sharing these photos with us