top of page

Listed Buildings

Stanley Hall

Grade Two Listed 6 May 1988, no report available

The old Hall was burnt down in the 1750s, Owned in the past byThomas Shaw who had made his money as a successful railway contractor during the 1830s and 1840s. He constructed the Macclesfield Canal, the Leeds and Selby Railway and railway tunnels such as those at Chevet, Woodhead, Morley and Woolley. In recent years it was bought by the West Riding County Council.The grade II listed building is now a hostel for nurses at Pinderfields Hospital.


Mile Posts opposite number 34 & 220 Aberford Road

Grade Two Listed 6 May 1988, report as follows;

Milepost outside 34 Aberford Road . Cast-iron triangular front, on stone post, with rounded top. The posts mark the route of the Wakefield and Aberford Turnpike road created 1788/9.


420 & 422 Aberford Road

Grade Two Listed 6 May 1988, report as follows;

Coursed rubble with rendered front. Part stone slate, part tiled roof. 3-bay front with twin gabled wings to rear. Two storeys. Symmetrical front. Central doorway with ornamental lintel. Double-chamferedwindows: 5-light to left (right window not visible at time of survey 1987), two 4-light windows to 1st floor and a central 2-light window. Hollow- chamfered gable copings on moulded kneelers. Central stack. The rear wings each have the remains of a double-chamfered window at 1st-floor level, of 2 lights to left wing and of 3 lights to right wing.


Hatfeild Hall

Grade Two Listed 1 June 1983, report as follows;

Large house that was later a hotel and now ruinous and disused. Built c.1600, remodelled c1775 for J. Hatfeild Kaye. Ashlar front, the rest rendered. Welsh slate roof mainly collapsed. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Symmetrical front, the centre 3 bays breaking forward slightly under gable; 2-storey, 3-light canted bay windows to each side. Gothic-arched ground-floor openings including the central door, square-headed upper floor windows now with casements, all in raised surrounds. Cill bands. The central gable has a quartered shield with the words "SE QUOD AUDES". Three-gabled right return, the right end with an addition, the centre and left gables each having a quatrefoil in the apex. The left return is gabled at left and right ends. Interior: the left, front room is panelled with an intricate plaster frieze of a merman whose arms are intertwined with the arms of a mermaid to each side, supported by wyverns. The right, front room has a good delicate Adam-style plaster ceiling with roundels and panels, figures and trophies. The centre rose is gone. The house is in a ruinous state following a fire of the 1980s.


Saint Peters Church

Grade Two Listed 11 July 1961, report as follows;

Church. 1821-4 by Peter Atkinson Junior, rebuilt 1911-13 (apart from the west end) by W. D. Carbe of London. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Twin west towers, 6 bay nave with lean-to 6-bay aisles, 2-bay chancel with later vestry to south. The broad west front is flanked by 2 tall 4-stage octagonal towers. The 3rd stages have short lancets and the upper stages form an open belfry with Perpendicular openings, gargoyles, pierced parapets and pinnacles. Central arched door with flanking 3-light windows. Above is a large 5-light window with Perpendicular panel tracery, flanked by tall, very slender, 2-light windows. Nave: buttressed aisles, each bay gabled and with large 3-light window with Decorated tracery of different designs in the heads; 2-light square-headed clerestory windows; the +-bays at the west end, north and south, have very slender 2-light windows and rise above the aisles as short square towers. Tall 2-light chancel windows. The east end, flanked by broad angle buttresses which support a low arch. Two intermediate buttresses frame and separate a central 3-light window and 2 lower 2-light windows with decorated tracery. Below is a passage leading to the crypt. Interior: tall nave with 6-bay arcade on slender filleted columns which rise through the clerestory and carry the wall posts of the arched-braced roof trusses. The south chapel has been separated to form a smaller chapel. Aisle roofs have wooden transverse vaulting. Wooden, vaulted, chancel roof with well-carved frieze. Carved stone font with excellent tall oak cover of 1916 carved with pierced panels and decorated tracery with a crocketed spire. Excellent choir stalls with misericords whose superb carvings depict "The Creation".


Aqueduct Cottage

Grade Two Listed 7th November 1977, report as follows;

Canal office or cottage. Circa 1839 for the Aire and Calder Navigation Company. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof (part gone). Classical style. Single storey. Symmetrical 3-bay facade with central tetra style Doric portico with square outer piers and inner fluted columns supporting architrave, frieze and triangular pediment. The doorway has eared architrave and is flanked by small blocked windows (within the portico) and with a further blocked window to the left and right bays. Small eaves cornice. Central stack. Left and right returns also pedimented with doorway to right return and window to left, both blocked. The small addition at rear, (partly collapsed), is possibly contemporary.


Finkin Lane No 23 & 25

Grade Two Listed 6 May 1988, report as follows;

Pair of cottages. Painted stone walls, rear rendered. Pantile roof. Two storeys. Four-bay front. Bay 3 has a quoined entrance with ogee-arched ornamental stone lintel. Further entrance to left. Bays 1 and 2 have horizontal-sliding sash windows. Bays 3 and 4 have new wooden casements in the form of a cross-window (which apparently they replace). Near-central brick stack and stack to right end.


Nos 12a, 14, 16, 18 and 20 & Attached Gate Piers to Left at Lake Lock Yard

Grade Two Listed 17 June 1982, report as folows;

Former canal navigation cottages and workshops, now 5 dwellings. 1802 for the Aire and Calder Navigation Company. Altered 1980s. Coursed squared stone. Stone and Welsh slate roofs. A symmetrical arrangement of buildings consisting of a 3-bay central house breaking forward slightly from the flanking 6-bay cottages. The former 7-bay workshops are set back to each side, with 9- and 7-bay cart sheds attached to left and right respectively. Two storeys. Central door to centre house, 2 symmetrically-placed doors to each of the slightly lower 6-bay ranges (each formerly 2 cottages) all with overlights. Mainly 4-pane or 12-pane sash windows, some casements with glazing bars. Openings have plain raised surrounds. End stacks to centre house. The former workshop ranges each have a large central, segmental- headed cart entry (now glazed) with a small round-arched former loading door above (now a window), all these in alternately blocked raised surrounds. Windows are similar to before. Loading door to 1st floor, inner end in each case, the stone steps now removed. Hipped roofs. The cart sheds have cylindrical stone piers with square caps, those to right now glazed. Mono- pitched roofs. Attached to the left cart shed is a pair of square rusticated ashlar gate piers with a monolithic upper part with a sunken panel containing a roundel. Moulded cornice with guttae and blocking course.


Stanley Ferry Aqueduct

Grade One Listed 9th October 1987, report as follows;

Aqueduct carrying Calder Cut of Aire and Calder Navigation over River Calder. Built 1837-39; designed in 1834 by George Leather jun. of George Leather and Son, of Leeds. Cast iron with stone abutments. Arched suspension construction, with trough designed in Classical style. Two iron girder areas of 155 ft span, with a horizontal tie at the apex, and steel suspension rods to the trough. The trough, 160 ft. long and 24 ft. wide, has on each outer side a continuous colonnade of fluted Doric colonnettes with entablature including triglyphs with guttae and mutules, the lower ends of the arched supporting girders passing through at each end without interrupting the colonnade. The stone abutment on each side is disguised by a pedimented portico in matching style. The trough has been altered by removal of the towpaths to widen the passage, but the iron stick railings have been replaced in replica. The item is believed to be the first iron suspension Aqueduct in the world.


More to follow

bottom of page