The creation of the preceptory is marked by a series of land grants in the period 1180 to 1230. In 1338 a survey indicates that the preceptory was occupied by the preceptor himself (a knight), a monk, a chaplain, and a man-at-arms, representing all three grades of the Order. Additionally, payments in the form of clothing and livery, are noted to a chamberlain, cook, baker, bailiff, groom, two pages, a boy servant, and various agricultural workers. In the early 14th century the knights cultivated their lands at Newland directly, including 200 acres of arable and 16 acres of meadows. From the mid 14th century the estate was farmed out on a condition that hospitality was provided for the preceptor whenever he held court there. The post-medieval buildings on the site appear to have replaced rather than incorporated their predecessors. The derelict 18th century house on the site, formerly a stables of coach house, is Listed Grade II, as area group of 17th and 18th century farm buildings enclosing a rectangular yard. All buildings on the site are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath all of them is included. The embankment for the now disused railway running along the river bank is similarly excluded although the ground beneath it is included.